ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS
It is one of the oldest universities for high level artistic training, established by King Charles III of Bourbon in 1752. The current head office, located in via Santa Maria di Costantinopoli,
has been for about three centuries a pulsating core of the citizen “cultural centre”, an area in the ancient heart of Naples which harbours the National Museum, the Galleria Principe, the Conservatory of San Pietro a Majella, the booksellers of via Port’Alba and the luthiers of via San Sebastiano.
The building that houses it is of great architectural value, built with the typical Neapolitan yellow tuff. The main frontage is decorated with busts of personalities linked to the Academy. The wide hall is surrounded by two bronze lions sculpted by Tommaso Solari.
The interiors, accessible via the monumental stairway by Giuseppe Pisanti, are distributed on two floors, with large rooms including classrooms, a theatre, an art gallery, a Gallery which exhibits works from the sixteenth to the twentieth century, precious testimony of the art from the South of Italy, from Renaissance to Contemporary times, including the core works donated in 1898 by Filippo Palizzi. The Academy is one of the most important centres for the artistic training, between avant-garde and tradition, as well as home to several cultural initiatives.
In the city of the theatre, the Bellini is one of the most ancient and prestigious halls. Its history is complex and culminates with its reopening in 1986 by Tato Russo, who bought the theatre and turned it into a stage, since then home to lucky theatre seasons and which, thanks to the creation of recent spaces such as the Piccolo Bellini, the Marotta&Cafiero store and the Understage, also hosts events, workshops and meetings.
Located in via Conte di Ruvo, was commissioned in 1864 by a Neapolitan lawyer as part of the so-called “drainage of wheat ditches”. The original structure had a circular plant with a single tier of boxes, primarily intended to circus and equestrian shows.
In 1878 the theatre was expanded, recreating an environment similar to the Opéra-Comique in Paris: thus the current Bellini was born with a horseshoe plant, five tiers of boxes, the gallery and the precious and sumptuous Baroque décor. The inauguration was held in the autumn of that year with “I Puritani”, masterpiece by the composer from Catania. For years it had hosted operas, before the decline with the last representation in 1962.
It was later used as a cinema, then it came back to light thanks to Tato Russo, whose sons currently manage the hall, a real cultural hub of the city of Naples.
Hills, lakes, sea and islands, and more craters, volcanoes and geysers: it is a dreamy, fabulous scenery offered by the Monte Nuovo overlooking the Phlaegrean Fields, in the heart of the Mediterranean sea, colonized by the Greeks who named them flégo, “I burn”.
Through paths and nature trails you discover a land – since 2003 regional park – of huge scenic and historic importance, destination for the ancient Romans and the travelers of the Grand Tour. The wonders are countless. They are worldwide reknown: the Averno, Fusaro, Lucrino and Miseno lakes, the crater of Astroni, the Solfatara, the Baia underwater park, the thermal baths, the harbour of Pozzuoli, the temples of Serapis, Augustus and Apollo, the Sibyl’s cave, the Piscina Mirabilis, the Flavian amphitheatre and the Vanvitellian house.
The Phlaegrean Fields were connected to Naples through the Neapolitan Crypt, a tunnel excavated into the tuff during the Roman era, at the entrance of which there is the tomb of poet Virgil. The city of Baia was the favourite place of residence for Roman emperors and aristocrats. Here is located the Aragonese castle, which now hosts the Phlaegrean Fields Archaeological Museum.
Get the app that will guide you through paths and trails
HOW TO REACH US
ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS
Via Santa Maria di Costantinopoli,107
80138 Napoli Italia
Via Bellini, 36
80138 Napoli Italia
T +39 081 441900 | +39 081 441887
Via Conte di Ruvo, 14
T +39 081.5491266 F +39 081.5499656
Tangenziale di Napoli (Naples ring road) – exit n. 5 Capodimonte
Line 1 – stop: Dante
Line 1 – stop: Museo
Line 2 – stop: Piazza Cavour
NATURAL OASIS OF MONTE NUOVO
80078 Pozzuoli (Naples, Italy)
Tangenziale di Napoli (Naples ring road) – exit n. 14 Pozzuoli – Arco Felice. Follow the directions for Napoli- Pozzuoli, Baia and Bacoli going along via Licola-Patria. Once reached the little square of Arco Felice, turn right
Cumana railway (a quann’ pass’)
Line: Napoli-Torregaveta – stop: Lucrino.